So this week, on Wednesday, I found out that my little baby to be is a girl!!! We are thinking of called her Candace. My mother is ecstatic and has already bought many dresses for the little one. It's odd, even before she is born she seems to have so much influence on my life. Even though we haven't seen each other I love her so much and would do any thing for her. Which brought me to an interesting realization when I was reading "The Costs of Getting Ahead: Mexican Family System Changes and Immigration". In this article the researchers interviewed illegal Mexican families living in the US. While I do not condone the families living in the US, I did find it interesting that in most cases the families were in the US so their children could have better lives by learning English and by being educated in US schools. Or in other words, like every other parent, they want what is best for their children. While I cannot support the actions of the parents I understand why they would want to come to the US for their children.
The Article: http://www.williamperezphd.com/articles/bacallao-smokowski-2007.pdf
No comments:
Post a Comment